Monday, September 1, 2008

Of Beijing Olympics & China going green !

Author : Noor Al Zubaidy




The Beijing Olympics 2008 did get a lot of attention. First because of the situation in Tibet, and some people were in favor of boycotting them. And then because the Olympics usually get a lot of attention because the country who is hosting the games will be presenting the preparations for the public.

A lot of people were waiting for the Olympics, I'm sure about that. But for me, I'm not much of a sports fan, so I wasn't very much interested in the Olympics at first. Then when I heard how the Olympics have changed Beijing for the better, it made me happy that Beijing in hosting the Olympics while I know many people aren't because of what the Chinese authorities have done with the situation in Tibet. The reason why I'm happy that the Olympics are held in Beijing is because it's becoming greener because of the Olympics.

Athletes need fresh and clean air to perform their best and Beijing has a very alarming air pollution which is why they have been trying to make the Olympics greener for the athletes. They have been doing their best to reduce air pollution, and according to what I read, they have been quite successful. It's wonderful how the Olympics are helping our world! I always thought that people who want to play sports or exercise at the gym could do so in a much greener way by exercising in the great outdoors or walking in the park instead of walking in the gym and so on, but I never thought that sports can be of much help since they are trying to make a city's air less polluted. A city which millions of people live in will have less polluted air. Just thinking of what positive affect that could have is amazing. I really think it's wonderful news, and if these global events are greener, many people will be more aware of how important it is to try and live a greener life for the sake of our planet.

No comments: